Thursday, January 6, 2011

Obsessions

The creative habit is like a drug - The particular obsession changes but the excitement of the thrill of your creation lasts. Henry Moore, English sculptor.

I've been called many names like perfectionist, difficult and obsessive. I think it takes obsession, takes searching for the details for any artist to be good.
Barbara Streisand, Producer, actor & singer.

What is it about me, that I decide to begin major sewing projects on January 3rd, the evening before returning to work from an 18 day vacation? These are not just any sewing projects. They are projects with timelines, expectations to be filled, and getting bigger by the moment. So who or what would entice me into this obsessive, crazy behaviour that wakes me at 6:00 in the morning to commit time before work, that keeps me up until late into the night, and that lures me into sewing at lunch time, instead of going for a refreshing walk in the snow? Of course the answer is a simple one...or several. Grandchildren!

Pink Dolphins plus...






Prior to Christmas, my daughter in law, Manda,  mentioned that the only thing Stella wanted for her birthday was a pink dolphin. Over the holidays I searched the web and found a pattern to make felt dolphins. Busy with Christmas, I put it out of my mind and celebrated her birthday with gifts already purchased last summer. It was on her birthday, December 31st, that I started to feel the urge, and after pulling up the patterns and heading to Staples to enlarge them, I set out to buy supplies. The little guy came together in a couple hours and might have been quicker had I read the instructions before diving right in. I hate having to undo stitches. With two dolphins almost complete, and the day before Stella's brother, Sebastien's birthday, I decided to whip up a dolphin for him too. His dad said, "make it blue, with a lightning bolt...He'll love that". Well I had no blue felt, and was starting way after the last store closed in the Sault, so settled for light grey with a dark grey belly, and then gave in to the lighning bolt which is bright yellow. The trio done in time to go for birthday cake tonight, I staged them and took the pictures above.


Doll clothes...gone wild!

At the same time as I was starting the dolphin, my other grandchildren were over, and I was looking through a Maplelea catalogue with my eldest grandaughter. Miranda. Her new doll Jenna came from Maplelea, and she was hoping for some new doll clothes. I just happened to have a pattern for 18" doll clothes, so after checking it out, scouring boxes for material and other resources, I set off to Fabricland to top off my supplies. The fur coat and hat on the doll below, not Jenna, were created the same night as dolphin #1.


I have set aside the basket filled with several cut out outfits, to balance my life with some exercise and me time, and will continue with this project on the weekend, when Jenna and Miranda can join me to make high level decisions about style, accessories, appliques etc.

To answer my question at the beginning of this posting...I think I am just one of those people who thrives on pressure and deadlines. What else could it be? Love!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I know the feeling. :) Unless I have a project looming, I feel lost. :)

    My kiddos will LOVE their gifts.

    ReplyDelete