Sunday, November 14, 2010

On the road again...



I am sure that this sketch of a Mandela had a deeper meaning of life as a journey when I created it several years ago, but it also fits with my physical  journeys: the moves…travels…vacations  etc. that earned me the reputation to be labeled with the theme song, “On the Road Again”, by Willie Nelson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TD_pSeNelU

Lately, my frequent travels for work have started me thinking about the roadmap of my life. In my current job, Bearskin Airlines transports me to remote, northern Ontario communities, road trips keep me on the road and away from my home base sometimes for weeks at a time, and very often I find myself heading to Toronto to be filled with new knowledge to take to the field on future journeys. Such is the case today, as I pack for a 5 day Toronto trip. The experiences I have gained in these travels far outweigh the sacrifice of being away from home. I have been immersed in and learned from diverse cultures, I have friends and colleagues in all regions of the province,and my spirit has been comforted by the view of endless miles of rivers, lakes and wilderness, shown to me from the sky and from the roadways of Ontario. Common crows, hawks and eagles are my constant companions when I drive for hours with no sign of civilization, and once in a while I am blessed by a deer wandering safely at a distance.


                                                                      
    

Although I lived in the same city for most of my life, you could say I have become a professional mover, as a result of frequent moves from one neighbourhood to another. At one point I figured that I had moved an average of once every 2 years. As a result, I have experienced the cultures of many neighbourhoods  and townships in Sault Ste. Marie. And everyone has been different. The most significant difference was my experience living in Prince Township. A rural setting dotted with small farms and populated by families with a long, rich history in the area. Although the homes were far apart and situated on large acreages, neighbours would stop by to help when driving by and noticing a need for assistance. It wasn’t uncommon, even as a new resident, to have strangers drop by to grab a hammer and help shingle the roof, or to add some muscle to push a car out of a snow filled driveway. This had not been my experience in the city, as people were busier and the seemed to be attempting to carve out a sense of privacy and serenity on their small city lots…that is until now. Living in an east end suburban neighbourhood we have found a sense of community, sharing and happiness. Children safely play in the front yards providing the gift of laughter and amusement to all who watch them. Neighbours share gardening tips and tools, and can be seen admiring the beauty and bounty in each garden. There is always a smile and a wave…sometimes stopping to share a story or experience with one another.



Journeys did take me to other parts of North America. At 5 years old we relocated to Springfield, Massachusetts where I lived for one year. This is where I started school. Grade 1 at Sacred Heart School, we used to march in to class to the piped in March music of John Philip Sousa.  I remember starting our day with the pledge of allegiance, different than all my other school years in Canada, where we started our day singing God Save the Queen. All good…just different!

Then there are the tugboat journeys, the Algoma Central Railway journeys, canoe trips. Over the next while, I will share funny, harrowing, and sometimes poignant stories about these adventures. There have been journeys of learning, journeys of love, journeys of sorrow, journeys of hardship and journeys of resilience. All of the journeys have been journeys of the heart…journeys of the spirit, and so I plan to develop many stories around the theme of journeys, and I wish everyone enlightening and safe travels on your journeys too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment